Here we are, four days in, and I already feel like we’re winning this thing. I’m not sure if it comes with the territory, but so far the second attempt is going much more smoothly than the first. I haven’t had cravings (other than the dream about eating a slice of 6-layer chocolate cake, and only when debating a second slice realizing that it’s a.) not gluten-free and b.) that I’ll have to start Whole30 over again); my energy has been up, I’m less snacky, and the hives on my hand are pretty much gone. One thing I have noticed is that the skin on my chin is really dry. With a little help from Google, it turns out that the dryness could be a result of a change in digestion and/or your body releasing toxins from having had too much sugar and processed foods in your system – just a hunch here, but I am willing to bet it’s a bit of both. My body, and the reality that everything within it is so intertwined, continues to amaze me.
This week us Pals have a pretty tasty menu planned. Check it out:
- Breakfast: Chicken chorizo sausages with scrambled eggs… check your sausage ingredients! We are lucky enough to buy ours from a farmers’ market that make them on-site and additive-free.
- Beef + Guacamole Sliders, inspired by Stupid Easy Paleo. I nixed the bacon and added sauteed onions and homemade ketchup, with sauteed snow peas on the side. The combination of guacamole and sweet potatoes was something else. However, it is worth nothing that, while they look like little burgers, they are still a knife-and-fork food. Also, one sweet potato didn’t quite stretch far enough for me to have “buns” for all the patties, but that’s not really a big deal.
- Crockpot Pot Roast with carrots, onions, and potatoes. I’ve looked around at different Whole30 pot roast recipes to see what they have in common. Searing the meat, a little broth, and a lot of garlic. We’re going to wing this one and hope for the best. Fingers crossed, kids.
- Steak salad with caramelized onions and mushrooms over arugula. Skirt steak, mustard vinaigrette, hallelujah.
- Pan-cooked chicken thighs with crash hot potatoes and green beans. CHPs are life… and can even be made with a faulty oven! I boil them a little longer and use the broiler to crisp them up post-smash. If there was an option to only eat creamy, dreamy, crash hot potatoes for a month, I’d do it.
- Meaty Marinara over sauteed zucchini. I have yet to purchase a spiralizer, so for now, zoodles are a distant dream. That’s not stopping me from eating a spaghetti inspired dinner, no dang way. I’m using Silver Palate “Thick + Sassy” sauce, adding ground beef, and serving over sauteed zucchini bits. Silver Palate sauce happens to be compliant, so I’m taking a shortcut in lieu of making my own. Again, check your labels and make sure you’re not getting a jar chock full of sugar. 😉
- If I do find myself in need of a snack, I have an almond/pecan mix, bananas, clementines, and apples on hand.
Here’s to another incredible week of Whole30! You’re killing it, I can see it from here.
P.S. I may be doing swell, but Pal just said he wanted a hotdog burrito. Heaven help us.